Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tar washes up on Delray Beach

While taking a Friday afternoon stroll on the beach I suddenly felt a sticky substance attach itself to my foot. Jelly fish, you might ask? Bubble gum? Nope, tar.

During my 30 minute stroll I came across about four or five different tar balls about the size of a harmonica. While we have experienced a migration of fish and other marine organisms from the Gulf of Mexico to our Atlantic coasts, it's not certain that the oil from the Deep Water Horizon spill could have made it's way this far.

After doing some research I came across a story that Fox 29 had debuted the day I came across the tar. Tar Balls Wash up on South Florida Beaches, the article was titled. The tar that Fox 29 was referring to was found off Boca Raton's beaches only miles away from Delray.

While the article gives no explanation for the tar, further research suggests that it's from rock or ocean topography. Apparently much of the rock off the coast of California produces naturally occurring tar and it's presence at the beaches is no surprise to residents. Let's hope that's the case in Delray.

Remnants of tar I found on Delray Beach, 3.18.11

No comments:

Post a Comment